In class last thursday we discussed chapter 3 and the importance of early childhood intervention. My reaction to the reading is that I became very aware of how important it is to be aware of the warning signs and catch "abilities" at the earliest stages possible.
What I found the most interesting were all the studies that were conducted to evaluate the long term effects early intervention had on children. The results of those who did attend pre-school, and those who did not were astounding. Those who did partake in the study and did go to pre-school ended up with a greater percentage of going to college, landing higher paying jobs, and becoming more socially adaptive to their surroundings. Early intervention has come a long way in the past few decades and starts even before the baby is born. Pre-natal care is essential to a healthy baby!!
Class activity wise, I enjoyed going out and taking pictures, it allows everyone to express their own creativity and gives everyone a chance to stretch their legs in the middle of the 3hour class. I also really appreciated how Professor Mclaughlin took time to speak with us one on one to discuss our own personal interests and the goals we wish to accomplish etc. etc. I think that made a difference in the class. Professors in college dont typically take time away from class to sit and discuss with their students anymore, nor do they care to accomplish some sort of connection with them. I do really enjoy all the crazyness of our classroom, and the great personality and energy Shelley brings to the classroom so early in the morning!! Very inspiring for a future teacher to experience.
What I found the most interesting were all the studies that were conducted to evaluate the long term effects early intervention had on children. The results of those who did attend pre-school, and those who did not were astounding. Those who did partake in the study and did go to pre-school ended up with a greater percentage of going to college, landing higher paying jobs, and becoming more socially adaptive to their surroundings. Early intervention has come a long way in the past few decades and starts even before the baby is born. Pre-natal care is essential to a healthy baby!!
Class activity wise, I enjoyed going out and taking pictures, it allows everyone to express their own creativity and gives everyone a chance to stretch their legs in the middle of the 3hour class. I also really appreciated how Professor Mclaughlin took time to speak with us one on one to discuss our own personal interests and the goals we wish to accomplish etc. etc. I think that made a difference in the class. Professors in college dont typically take time away from class to sit and discuss with their students anymore, nor do they care to accomplish some sort of connection with them. I do really enjoy all the crazyness of our classroom, and the great personality and energy Shelley brings to the classroom so early in the morning!! Very inspiring for a future teacher to experience.

Hi there. I wonder how many high school students you will meet who didn't have an teacher in his/her elementary or Middle School experience who took notice of his/her "abilities."
ReplyDeleteThis is why it's hard to work with adolescents. My hope is that you will be a source of inspiration for them.
I'm very disappointed in my organization and delivery to date. It goes to show you how folks like you and me (who are drawn to the profession) are usually our own worst enemies! Regardless of my teaching, I really do enjoy getting to know students and challenging folks to get silly, explore, and be creative. I appreciate your perspective on this (because some may just find it complete torture!).
Please make sure to edit your Blog post in MS word (or something with a spell check) before you post. Also - try to add a few hyperlinks here in relation to the focus of Chapter 3. For example, the CEC (Council for Exceptional Children) or the Parent Network of WNY. These are great sites.
I think you corrected all the spelling errors here so great job lol... nice personal reflection you added a lot of personal oppinion good job!
ReplyDelete