Thursday, October 22, 2009

week 8-post

What do you think are the top 3 things you need to know when talking with parents?

Before I watched the film, I think I was pretty narrow-minded on how to approach a parent concerning their child in the classroom. I thought that the teacher did all of the talking, recipricating the struggles and success of the child focusing more on how the child conducted themselves in class as opposed to home. I knew that input from the parent was important but not as important as what the video had explained. I figured that I would be mindful of why I am speaking to the parents and try not to attack the student nor the parent, try my best to be respectful and patient, some parents might be angry about a grade, or something the student had said to them about the class, and to be respectful of their background and culture as to not offend a tradition and blame their culture for bad grades, bad behavior, etc.

After I watched the short clip I found out that, as a teacher, you want to hear feedback from the parent and how they think the classroom is being ran and what the child says about school when they come home, and how important that is to become a good teacher. As a teacher I need to learn to take those comments from the students and their parents and instead of ignorning them, learn to modify my procedures to help both the student and parent become more accepting of how the classroom is operated. Also to incorporate classroom activities while talking to the parent, make them feel like their input is important to the success of the student. Be careful not to give a negative association to the parent about their child. Let them know that good things are going on in the classroom, positive attitudes rubb off on other people, if I stay positive the parent will be positive. Use the conference as a back and forth dialouge, make sure you ask the parent about how they feel about the progress of their child and what THEY think is their child's weak areas, what might help them to succeed in the classroom.
Helpful Tips to future Teachers
"Home-School Communication: The Parent-Teacher Conference"
Click Me = ]

4 comments:

  1. As a high school teacher, what do you think about the practice of having student's run their own conferences?
    what would be the benefit?
    challenges?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that students should run their own conferences because they do that every day when they get home from school. There are always two sides of a story. The story to child relates to the parents, and the story the techer relates to the parent. The parent needs to hear the teacher's side once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good job, maybe some references to the text?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK. Now put it all together. Your opinion is valuable.
    Edit your first entry (don't continue the conversation down here)
    Add a reference to the text, APA citation, authentic image that you think demonstrates a concept or an idea that is related to this topic (you can go abstract here)

    ReplyDelete