Today was an interesting day at learn and serve. I was able to help the students with a worksheet they had to complete and present in class. Its nice because the students are starting to warm-up to me and ask me for help freely and actually have conversations with me. Today I was complimented on my shoes. =]
The kids are currently working on complementary angles and supplementary angles. we gave them a pop quiz, but unfortunately only 3 of the students got a passing grade. = [ but it was mostly for little mistakes such as confusing complimentary angles with suplimentary angles which is easily fixable!! There is light at the end of the tunnel! Hopefully by Tuesday(when their test it) they will have it down. They were all listening very intently to Mrs. Roeser when she was explaining what they had done wrong on the quiz and how they can improve it by the time the test comes.
Another cool thing was that during 2nd periond I got to sit in and listen to mr. clark's science class. His class is an inclusion class who has one child n
amed Bob, he's blind and has a great sense of humo
r! One thing I liked about Mr. clarks class is that he made the students use the smart board A LOT through his lecture. the kids liked it and it made them interact with each other and have fun while learning. one thing I noticed was that Bob had an aid with him that spoke to him through images she would draw on his back and help him visualize what was going on, I thought this was very interesting a good way to keep Bob feeling like he is a part of the classroom.
amed Bob, he's blind and has a great sense of humo
r! One thing I liked about Mr. clarks class is that he made the students use the smart board A LOT through his lecture. the kids liked it and it made them interact with each other and have fun while learning. one thing I noticed was that Bob had an aid with him that spoke to him through images she would draw on his back and help him visualize what was going on, I thought this was very interesting a good way to keep Bob feeling like he is a part of the classroom.Today was a good experience for me because I can see myself beginning to feel more comfortable in the classroom, instead of just standing in the corner while the students do a worksheet I will walk around and ask if they need any assistance or if they understand what they're doing. It's a great change to how I used to act in learn and serve and I think it has a lot to do with the teacher that I am working under. Mrs. Roeser has helped me feel comfortable in her classroom and I appreciate all the guidance she has given me thus far.
The textbook makes it a point to infer that females are less likely to pursue a career in math or science because society portrays females staying at home, cleaning, cooking and raising a family while the male figure goes out to earn the money. I strongly disagree with this because in the 21st century women are capable of just as much as males are, espically in the professional sense. Even though the textbook does not address this, studies have suggested that women are actually smarter than men in most cases. this is because women can multi-task and relate to others on a personal level which helps with their memorization of material and applying said material to a later instance.

OK. So now I get it! Complementary angles are ... and supplementary are....
ReplyDeleteFunny hyperlinks there.
I noticed that the picture shows all girls in math class. What does the textbook say about girls and learning?
What do you find on the internet in relation to girls and math?
the internet actually has statstics stating that girls are less interested in math and science and more in history and english. Men are typically the ones who get careers focusing on math and science related fields. The textbook says that girls aren't as interesting in math and science because they learn from an early age that they need to be home cooking and cleaning and having babies.
ReplyDeletegreat job on this one... interesting facts, good reference to text in your comment.
ReplyDelete